Dec 6, 2019

An interesting essay about a near perfect Little League game that doesn't end up happening because of the modern era's rules about pitch count. The essay ultimately ends on the right note which is the kid pitcher's verdict.

Let Them Play by Sean Gregory

I can't even imagine coming close to this scenario because in the Fall my pitchers would only pitch 1 inning max. (We usually only get 4 innings in the Fall and I had at least 8 or 9 pitchers that I wanted to rotate every other game.) Even in the Spring the most my players would go is 2 innings before fizzling out or hitting their pitch count. Which does somewhat speak to the rarity of what happened to this kid pitcher who was obviously pitching well with good defense behind him to get to 5 innings with only 75 pitches. Still I fall on the side of the Little League officials, the sports physiologist, and again the kid pitcher -- there has to be a limit and you have to be consistent about that. Even in my generation of youth baseball (late 80's) -- I knew of a kid who was considered a golden arm and his coaches had blown out his arm carrying games I believe even before he got to high school. That's absurd!